Saturday 25 October 2008

Bits and bobs

Today I’m in a funny mood, can’t settle down to very much of one thing, so I figure if that’s the way I feel, that’s the way my blog should read too!

So first off, a message for Riohanna, the slipper sock pattern I used is here; http://knitting-crochet.com/crochet/slisoc.html
It took a little hunting, but my tenacious personality wouldn’t let me stop until I’d tracked it down. Actually it took me all of about three minutes, after I’d thought about it for a while. I also came across this pattern today, which I think will be next on my list, as I’m sure I can size it up enough for my small cold feet. http://megan.cc/Soccasins/
Not sure why the links didn't come out properly, perhaps you can give me some tips on how to get them to work?

Earlier today I heard some more news about the trouble the banks are in, and it sort of got me thinking. Now I know my attitude towards banks is pretty simple as I’ve never had enough money to have a mortgage, and I’ve never had a business, but basically I think their job is to look after our money and invest it wisely for us, or loan us money and make sure we return it with enough payment for the service to pay them for their time and the investors for their money. The bank is basically a go-between, or a Shylock, as my mind keeps calling them, because isn’t that what Shylock did?

Anyway, so when did being a money lender get to be such a respected profession? I’m not a Christian, but I respect many of their laws/ sayings as they make sense even today, and one of them is “Neither a lender nor borrower be.” Yet Christian countries have let the banks flourish and gain such power that they touch every single adults life, even the jobless have to have a bank account to get their benefits, no one institution, with possibly the exception of Government, should have that sort of power.

When and who gave the banks permission to lend our money so irresponsibly? When did the banks suddenly take control and have the power to tell you if and when you can have your money back? It’s our money, not theirs! Is it any wonder more and more people are reluctant to trust banks? I know I don’t, but then I haven’t for quite some time, the whole set-up seems iffy to me.

Okay, rant over for the day.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm having one of those bits and bob days myself.. went to bed all excited to get up this morning and start folding fabric again but after I had my cuppa tea and poptart I realized I wasn't as excited as I was last night so now it's more like work so I keep bouncing back and forth from the sewing room to the computer.
I agree with you about the banks having control of our money and life. Ours now tell us we have to have two forms of identy just to cash check even tho we have and account with them. Their also making us put our finger print on the back of the check. If you refuse then they refuse to cash it.

dragonsue said...

That's disgusting!
I have cut down my interaction with banks as much as possible. My money goes in, I take it out, and that's it now. They have no control over who or where I spend it with. If I want to send a check, I go to the post office and get a postal order, I think you guys in the US call it a 'money order'.

dragonsue said...

What also gets me annoyed is the way the banks lend our money out. Just look at the damage they have done to the third world by lending to countries they KNEW didn't have the means to pay back. Those debts were wiped out, and who landed up paying the bill?
When they got caught out with that silly idea, what did they do? Turn to the home market and do exactly the same thing, and are continuing to do even though it has caused them so many problems!
Shylocks the lot of them!

Anonymous said...

Oh, Susan!! That slipper sock is wonderful, I am definitely going to give it a try for myself. And the soccasins, HOW ADORABLE!!!! I will be working on those as well! I bought some weird stuff that is used in shower floors to porevent slippage, to sew on bottoms of the shoes I make. And, I agree with you about the banks, I do! And, I am irritated at the American Gov't, for "finding" money to help businesses, but, that is the tax payer's money. it isn't fair to give the people's money to these businesses, when these businesses won't help most of the people in the first place! (I know, I lived there).
OK, now, when I add a linky, I type my word in, hightlight it, then click the globe icon in the editor. A pop up box will appear, then you can paste the URL of the link you want into that box, hit ok, then it will be linked to that word. I hope that made sence.

dragonsue said...

Riohnna,
Why do you go out and buy anti-slip sole thingies? I just whip out my hot glue gun and make little dots of glue over the sole, if I feel they need them. To be honest I've worn the first pair of slipper socks I made from that pattern for about a year now, with no anti-slip, and not a single slip, not even when the cat has wound itself round my legs. I think it's something to do with the way the pattern is ridged on the heels but not on the toes.