Saturday 8 November 2008

It has been brought to my attention…

That I have been sorely neglecting my allotment as of late, I have still been going down there, but not as often as I should, and the plants are still growing happily without my attention, including the weeds, despite the frosts we have had!

One of the reasons for my neglect has been my Father in Law, three weeks ago he was admitted back in to hospital, suffering from dehydration and (dare I say it?) starvation, despite the fact he has FOUR carers visit him a day!

I know they can’t force him to eat or drink if he doesn’t want to, but they don’t even try! They just walk in, asks him if he wants anything, and when he says no, they go away again! Surely it is common sense to put the food in front of him, and possibly help him eat it (as he has had two strokes, feeding himself is difficult).

Even in the hospital he is lucky if a nurse has time to feed him, there are so many other patients who are more vocal in their needs, and so few nurses to go around. I just hope, if I am ever in that situation, I will still have the power of my voice, and still have the desire to use it.

The drawing in of the days is also causing a problem, as I didn’t even think to re-arrange my daily schedule to take the shortage of daylight hours in to consideration, so often by the time I have my chores done, it is already getting dark, and so the allotment has to have a miss. What doesn’t help is the fact I am very definitely not a morning person, and much prefer to have a few hours pottering around the house before venturing out in to the wet autumn weather. But all that has to change! There are things that need to be done, and nobody is going to do them if I don’t get around to them!

So a new leaf has to be turned in my attitude to winter living, and the only person who can do that, is me!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're not the only one.. I get so busy with my indoor chores and totally forget about my container plants on the deck needing watered. I was hoping to have some nice turnips by now but without being watered they are a long ways from being big enough to eat.

Anonymous said...

Argjh, and I myself love getting an early start n things in the mornings. It is about the only chance I get to clean, while baby is in bed.